The school holidays have finally arrived – Here are seven fun family activities that won’t break the bank!
TEXT: NUR ADLINA BINTE ADAM
PHOTOS: SHUTTERSTOCK, GALLOP STABLE, POPULAR, SENTOSA
The December holidays. It’s the most anticipated time of the year, filled with festive lights, celebrations, and overseas trips. If you find yourself fresh out of ideas for fun activities to do with your family during the school holidays, we’ve got you covered. From taking flight at the highest open-air panoramic ride in Singapore to going on quests, there will never be a dull moment as you end the year with a bang.
1. MAKE YOUR ESCAPE, LITERALLY
Escape rooms are one of the best ways to bond with family and friends. Combine your wits to solve the puzzles and make a break for it before your time’s up. Themes range from spine-chilling horror to brain-wracking mysteries.
One stellar example is the Trapped Escape Room, which features over 50 escape room props and animatronics, and several thrilling themes that can bring your nightmares to life. This season’s horror themes include Carnevil, Hide and Seek, and 28 Days of Night.
Dare to give it a go? HomeTeamNS members enjoy $5 off standard price until 31 December 2023, with a minimum purchase for four pax. Simply flash your digital membership card from the HomeTeamNS Mobile App.
Trapped Escape Room Singapore
- Address: The Cathay, 2 Handy Road, #B1-08/09/10, S229233
- Nearest MRT Station: Dhoby Ghaut
- Operating Hours: Monday to Sunday, 11am to 10.30pm
2. HORSE-RIDING HAVEN
Horse-riding has become much accessible in Singapore, with a variety of stables and horse-riding centres available. Imagine trotting away into the sunset on your majestic steed, alongside your significant other. Gallop Stable accommodates riders of all levels with horse and pony riding lessons!
With two outlets at Bukit Timah and Pasir Ris Park, HomeTeamNS members can enjoy exclusive rates for pony rides and horse or pony riding lessons. Pony rides cost S$8 (U.P. S$10), while members signing up for rising lessons enjoy 10% off regular riding rates for new students. This promotion is valid till 30 June 2023. Please visit our website for more information on the riding rates at Gallop Stable Pasir Ris Park and Horsecity. All you have to do is flash your digital membership card from the HomeTeamNS Mobile App.
Gallop Stable at Horsecity (Bukit Timah)
- Location: 100 Turf Club Road, Singapore 287992
- Operating Hours: Sunday to Thursday, 8am to 7pm; Friday to Saturday, 8am to 9pm
Gallop Stable at Pasir Ris Park
- Address: 61 Pasir Ris Green, Carpark C, Singapore 518225
- Operating Hours: Closed on Monday; Sunday to Thursday, 8am to 7pm; Friday to Saturday, 8am to 9pm
3. SPEND THE DAY AND NIGHT WITH ANIMALS
The school holidays wouldn’t be the same without a visit to a park. The parks by the Mandai Wildlife Reserve – Singapore Zoo, River Wonders, and Night Safari are home to gorgeous huddles of wildlife. They offer an ideal opportunity for the family to get up close to some of nature’s most graceful creatures – from the majestic White Rhinoceros to the cuddly Giant Pandas – shoutout to Kai Kai, Jia Jia, and little Le Le!
HomeTeamNS members enjoy 40% off tickets to the Singapore Zoo, River Wonders, and Night Safari, if bought on Monday to Thursday. For tickets bought from Friday to Sunday, members can get 10% off tickets.
Singapore Zoo, River Wonders & Night Safari
- Location: 80 Mandai Lake Rd, Singapore 729826
- Operating Hours: Singapore Zoo – Monday to Sunday, 8.30am to 6pm; River Wonders – Monday to Sunday, 10am to 7pm; Night Safari – Monday to Sunday, 7pm to 10am
4. TAKE FLIGHT AT SINGAPORE’S HIGHEST OPEN-AIR PANORAMIC RIDE
Get in touch with your inner Superman at Singapore’s highest open-air panoramic ride, the SkyHelix Sentosa. As you strap on the open-air gondola and rise 79 meters above ground, soak in the mesmerising 360-degree views that span from Sentosa to the Keppel Bay area and Southern Islands.
Whether it’s for a date or a family outing, the SkyHelix Sentosa is the perfect way to end the day on a literal high with your loved ones. With the wind in your hair, take a sip of your complimentary beverage and enjoy the sky-high rooftop bar vibe.
Enjoy up 20% off SkyHelix Sentosa (U.P S$18) as a HomeTeamNS member until 31 December 2022.
- Location: 41 Imbiah Rd, Sentosa, Singapore 099707
- Operating Hours: Monday to Sunday, 10am to 9.30pm
5. GO ON A JEWEL-RASSIC QUEST
Even if you’re not heading abroad during the school holidays, you can still have a lot of fun at the airport. If you’re a fan of all things Jurassic, be prepared to take a trip back in time. Teleport back to the Cretaceous period as cadet rangers and come face-to-face with gigantic augmented-reality (AR) dinosaurs. Round up the kids, get equipped with a TimeLens, and peep through the verdure of Shiseido Forest Valley and Canopy Park within Jewel Changi Airport to hunt for these behemoths.
As you go about your Quest, you’ll get to complete missions and play games while learning fun facts about dinosaurs. HomeTeamNS members can enjoy 20% off the Jewel-rassic Quest. Simply download the HomeTeamNS Mobile App to retrieve the promo code to enjoy this promotion.
Jewel Changi Airport
- Location: 78 Airport Blvd, Singapore 819666, Level 1 Concierge Counter
- Operating Hours: Monday to Sunday, 10.30am (first timeslot) to 5.30pm (last timeslot)
6. SHOP TILL YOU DROP AT POPULAR’S BOOKFEST
This one is for all the bookworms out there! A visit to POPULAR is a Singaporean’s favourite past time – especially when restocking stationery for a new school term. From now till 18 December 2022, BookFest@Singapore, Singapore’s largest book and stationery fair returns! Set at Suntec Convention Halls 401 to 406, take part in an assortment of games and activities, and shop till you drop.
As the fair spans across 130,000 square feet, you can look forward to various workshops, talks, and performances – featuring Mediacorp LOVE 972Fm deejays, Wallace Ang and Violet Fenying.
On top of the 10% discount for student or adult POPULAR members, HomeTeamNS members can get up to S$20 cash e-vouchers, Sure-Win Gachapon prizes (worth up to S$10,000), and receive a bonus gift (Collapsible cup worth S$12.90), when you sign up for a 3-Year POPULAR Membership via the POPULAR SG App.
Suntec Convention Centre Singapore
- Location: 1 Raffles Boulevard, Singapore 039593, Convention Halls 401-406
- Operating Hours: Monday to Sunday, 8am to 6pm
7. WATCH THE MAJESTIC WINGS OF TIME
The Wings of Time is a captivating water light show – featuring lasers, fire and water effects synced to a majestic soundtrack – that concludes with a stunning fireworks display!
Journey with Shahbaz, a mythical bird-like creature and his human friends, Rachel and Felix – and learn about friendship and courage. Travel with them across gorgeous landscapes and artistic interpretations of the British Industrial Revolution, the Silk Road, Mayan Pyramids, Underwater World and African Savannah.
Wings of Time, Sentosa
- Location: 50 Beach View, Singapore 098604, Wings of Time Theatre, Siloso Beach, Sentosa
- Show Times: Monday to Friday, 7.40pm; Saturday, Sunday, Eves of Public Holidays & Public Holidays, 7.40pm and 8.40pm